Friday, February 4

New old car

We bought a 2001 Toyota Corrolla a little while ago after shopping around the area quite extensively. We wanted to get a car with good gas mileage and a reliable engine and that's exactly what we got.

I lost my faith in the (usually reliable for an insanely long time) Honda Accord. My 1996 Accord wasn't atrocious but did not come close to my expectations for performance. That is the risk you take when you buy a used car.

We bought the Corolla at a pretty nice Lexus Dealer just down the street- it was a trade-in. It has about 90k miles on it which should be around half-life for a Corolla. It had one owner and they resided in Arizona. Apparently engines in Arizona don't take a beating as much aesthetically as in other states due to no salted roads and little to no humidity. This shows when you pop the hood- the cars internals look a few thousand miles old. The interior is a little grandma-y but there is no shock there considering where it is from. The owner did ALL scheduled maintenance- including the minor ones that aren't even that big of a deal. I felt great about buying it and still do.

We are hoping this Corolla stays around for another decade- initial impression is that it isn't exactly a Maserati but it gets us from A to B and makes me feel calmer knowing Aimee has a way to get to me, the hospital or anywhere else she needs to in a hurry (not to mention the more expected job of getting to work). It smelled insanely of lemon until about last week- I was hoping that it was just a good really deep clean of the car and not a tobbaco-masking product. We lucked out and the owner previous owner was NOT a tobacco smoker (at least not on the GO).

So far so good- lets hope it stays that way. The Berrett and Garrett clans have had quite the car change in these last few months.

P.S.: I will post a picture of the Corolla when I can take one of it (too dark right now).

No comments:

Post a Comment